Voices Rising Film Festival amplifies unique filmmakers voices. Creating awareness for the important work of minority Artists.
Location: The Plaza Cinema & Media Arts Center. 20 Terry Street, Patchogue, New York. September 30-October 2nd. Live Performances, Q&A's Table Reads & Special Guest Appearances & more!
Friday, September 30, 2022
5pm Red Carpet, Live Performances
Knock Out Blonde - 5:40pm
Dir: Rick Lazes, Tom Denucci
Run Time: 01:30:00
Knock Out Blonde is a documentary that chronicles the amazing life of Kellie Maloney, formerly Frank Maloney, famed boxing promoter who guided Lennox Lewis to become the undisputed heavyweight boxing champion of the world.
Kellie’s unique journey takes us through the male-dominated industry of professional boxing, rife with testosterone, bullies and closed-minded old-world thinkers while Kellie was conflicted with the struggle of a woman desperately seeking her true identity trapped in a famous man’s body. PRESS:
Saving Mary Alice 7:45pm
Dir. Susan Bohl
Run Time: 19:51
This is the story of an abuse survivor who takes matters into her own hands when she learns that her pregnant daughter is falling into the same toxic trap. This film looks into the broken lives of a family that is caught up in the deeply rooted cycle of multi-generational domestic violence. When one member of the family draws a line in the sand and commits to do whatever it takes to make the violence stop, she is faced with an unexpected and horrific end that was not what she planned. This very real story could happen in anyone's home, to anyone's family, to anyone's child. This film depicts female driven, multi-generational themes that defy sexist clichés.
“O’Kelley Legends: 2e Behind the Scenes” -8:30pm
Run Time: 01:10
Director: Harri James
Follows a 13-year-old Jordan O’Kelley, as he adapts his own book into a monologue show fundraiser to benefit the nonprofit organization SENG, which supports the emotional needs of the gifted. Four years earlier, Jordan, who is gifted and autistic, had written a book of humorous short stories, called “O’Kelley Legendary Legends of Legend, to get out of doing homework in 4th grade.
Saturday, October 1, 2022
3:00pm Screenplay Table Read
5:30pm first film block - 2 shorts 1 feature
8:00pm 2nd block - 2 shorts 1 Feature
BRING HER HOME - 6pm
Dir. Leya Hale
Run Time: 56 Miniutes
Bring Her Home follows three Indigenous women – an artist, an activist, and a politician – as they fight to vindicate and honor their missing and murdered relatives who have fallen victims to a growing epidemic across Indian country. Despite the lasting effects from historical trauma, each woman must search for healing while navigating racist systems that brought about this very crisis.
Culture And Community - 7:30pm
Dir, Sue Reynolds
Run Time: 9:26
Today in the United States there are more American Indians living in urban areas than on reservations or tribal homelands. This diaspora has made it difficult for urban Native youth to stay connected to their cultural history and practices. This film shows how one Native family living near San Francisco dances and participates in powwows and Native community center activities to honor and to keep their ancestors’ ways alive.
Resilience - 7:50pm
Dir. Sue Reynolds
Run Time:5 Minutes
Climate change-driven natural disasters are increasingly destructive and disruptive. When a huge wildfire destroys an Indigenous family's precious gathering place, resilience shows up in their decision to rebuild together. From the ashes, they find healing.
From Darkness to Light: The Peter Krueger Clinic -8:05pm
Dir. Joe Fox
Run Time: 40 minutes
From Darkness To Light” is a documentary film that tells the story of the Peter Krueger Clinic (PKC) – one of the first HIV/AIDS clinics in the United States, which was established at Beth Israel Hospital in 1989. Started during the height of the epidemic in New York City, PKC boldly stood against the stigma of the disease and served as a beacon of hope and a model of care for those New Yorkers diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. This powerful film traces the clinic’s origins and its impact over the last 3 decades, as told by the patients and staff that have called it home.
Sunday, October 2, 2022
Look In My Eyes - 3:30pm
Director: Eddie Baca
Run time: 59:00
A NYC taxi driver from Crimea meets a sober older gay man. Romance, deception, self truth and acceptance, intrigue.
Uprooted - 5:00pm
Dir: Hillia Aho
Run Time: 8:51
Robin is a recluse who prefers nature and solitude to the comforts and companionship of civilization. Her lifestyle reflects her resourcefulness: stolen food, a shelter crafted from salvaged materials, decorated with found treasures. One winter day, a logging operation launches nearby, and the forest that was her salvation is threatened by the encroachment of civilization. To avoid discovery, Robin must flee home with only the bare essentials, trading her painstakingly earned contentment for the uncertainty of displacement.
Infinite 8 - Virtual Screening on Love Wins
Dir. Mostafa Keshvari
The Vice-President of BC Minorities in Film & TV Society (NPO), we advocate for minorities and underrepresentation for both in front and behind the camera. The president and I can potentially attend.
Traei's absent father has left her 8 voicemail before his death; she finally finds the courage to listen to them.
After Laughter - 5:20pm
Dir. Adrian Burks
Run Time: 22:16
With the civil rights movement as the backdrop, an African-American family witnesses the changing of the times from 1964-1987. Malik and Jamal are cousins whose paths begin to diverge as Malik embraces his identity. Through the struggles and the successes, the love is always there
A Paid Connection - 5:55pm
Dir. Lauren Elizabeth Schwartzbard
Run Time: 9:00
Caroline goes into her session thinking it is a regular week and doesn’t realize Judy is trying to tell her something until their time is up.
THIS IS WHAT NEW YORKER'S SAY- 6:15pm
Run Time: 01:53:29
Dir. Sara Alessandrini
THIS IS WHAT NEW YORKERS SAY is a project that aims to give a voice back to the people of New York. In the past months, a lot has happened in politics and decisions were made, supposedly, in the name of the people, but too many New Yorkers felt powerless and that their voice didnʼt matter.
In democracy, voting is the main instrument for the people to participate in the public life, but when political games take over, it is the people who suffer the most and democracy fails.
She's Come to Sing - 8:45pm
Dir: Brielle Brown
Run Time: 4:40
Will we rise from the fall, singing. “She’s Come to Sing” is a solidarity seeking journey through grief and hope. The song, also written and performed by Brielle Brown is rooted in the belief that love is a fundamental state of being. The film was created in partnership with Project Dance, and features artists between the ages of 13-21. Brown aims to inspire conversations and awareness through art.
Voices Rising Film Festival is looking for unique Filmmakers with powerful voices. Our mission is to help amplify the hard work of Artists who deserve attention.
Does your Film help create awareness for subjects deserving attention or are you a unique Filmmaker that deserves the spotlight? Our focus is to support and advance Filmmakers careers. We have partnered with a streaming Distribution companies and our awards will include streaming Distribution options and Marketing for the winning Films.
Equally as important as connecting with industry and moving your project forward we will move the winning Films into consideration with partner Festivals that have live screening events that takes place in New York and Los Angeles and the focus is to help secure four wall Distribution for the winning Feature Film.
The team behind the Festival has a wide range of professional experience which includes every facet of Entertainment. Building an egoless environment with heart centered visions for human rights, LGBTQ, diversity and inclusion, women's empowerment is our mission. Making this not only a memorable event but an important gathering where each artists voice is heard through their choice of expression.
We celebrate and support Independent, new, and Alternative filmmakers; not just during our online competition but throughout the year through Production support, streaming Distribution relationships and marketing
Writer Jodi Shelton and Hudson Shelton
in Television Script
Thanks to Her
Directors Sam Orlowski, Sam McCoy
Director Bharath Bhushan Nethi
in Feature Film, Film Score, Experimental, Horro/Psych
The ART and Surrogacy Generation - The Children Speak
Director Laure Granjon
Director Hemantkumar Mahale
Kiss My Black Ass
Writer David Rosenthal
Chronicles of Her
Directors Taghrid Abouelhassan, Maysoon Khaled, Rim Mejdi, Emna Najjar, Farah Shaer
in Feature Film
Director Megan Ebor
in Feature Film
SPARK: A Systemic Racism Story
Submitter Alex Flagg
A Son’s Gift
Writer Michele Bell
AT THE MERCY OF FAITH - VERSION 2
Writer Samuel L Taylor
Director Lisa Cole
Living In Fear
Director Stephanie Castelete-Tyrrell
in Feature Doc
The Son Rises (Short script)
Writer Alexander G. Seyum
in Short , Short Script
Wish This Day Would End
Writer William E. Wonders III
Director Dan Ramm
In Their Shoes: Unheard Stories of Reentry and Recovery
Director Taylor Katsanis
in Feature Doc
Director Jacqueline Grajales
Director La'Chris Jordan
Director Russell Brown
in Feature Film
Writer Charles A. Honeywood
Director Drake Shannon
A Crack in the Aquarium
Writer Ahmed Khattab
Samos The Faces of our Border
Director Shams Abou El Enein
in Feature Doc
Nature We & I
Director Greg Karnilaw -Finalist
in Stage Play
Writer Stephen Floyd -Award Winner
in Stage Play
E PEOPLE vs FRANKENSTEIN
Writers Kevin Glover, Nicola Cuti - Award Winners
in Stage Play
Terms and Conditions:
· Entries must be in English or - Subtitled, dubbed in English.
· Multiple entries are allowed for each filmmaker and each entry may be entered in multiple categories.
· All entries should be sent via FilmFreeway. Please don't send discs or any downloadable files to us.
· Works in progress are accepted.
· Entries will not be returned.
· Entry fees are non-refundable
I, the authorized representative of the project being submitted (hereafter called the "Project") to Voices Rising Film Festival (hereafter called the “Voices Rising Film Festival”) for consideration for the 2020 Voices Rising Film Festival (hereafter called the “Festival”), hereby acknowledge the following:
1. I represent and warrant to the Voices Rising Film Festival that: (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Project (hereafter called the “Project’s Owners”), to exhibit this Project at the Festival, (b) exhibition of the Project at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Project is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Project the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
2. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Project at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Project does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Project at or in connection with the Festival.
3. In the event that the Project is accepted by Voices Rising Film Festival for inclusion in the Festival, I acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that Voices Rising Film Festival's exhibition or presentation of the Project at the Festival does not and will not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between Voices Rising Film Festival on the one hand and myself and/or the Project’s Owners on the other. I further acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Project’s Owners, that I and we understand that neither I nor any of the Project’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some prizes at the Festival may include cash awards. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, Voices Rising Film Festival or the Festival in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the Institute’s selection of the Project for the Festival. I and the Project’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Project for inclusion in the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by Voices Rising Film Festival or the Festival of the content of the Project or any opinion expressed therein.
4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless Voices Rising Film Festival and the Festival, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties”), from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by Voices Rising Film Festival, the Festival, or any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties, at any time in connection with the Project or the Voices Rising Film Festival's use, handling, consideration or exhibition thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the Institute, the Festival or any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
5. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that the Project is being submitted to Voices Rising Film Festival voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Project neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of Voices Rising Film Festival, the Festival, or any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties to accept the Project for inclusion in the Festival, to exhibit the Project at the Festival, to acknowledge the submission of the Project, or to return the Project to me or others. I further agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Project’s Owners, that I and the Project’s Owners, and any other representative or person affiliated with the Project, in submitting the Project for consideration, are waiving, forfeiting, forgoing and relinquishing any right that I or we might otherwise have to assert any claim or commence any proceeding in any forum or tribunal against Voices Rising Film Festival, the Festival, or any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties, based upon, arising out of or otherwise relating to the submission, exhibition or failure to exhibit the Project (including, without limitation, claims relating to any failure or refusal to exhibit the Project at the Festival, the exhibition or marketing of the Project at or in connection with the Festival, alleged oral or written representations by the Festival or its representatives relating to the submission or exhibition of the Project, and any other matters arising from or relating to the submission of the Project), whether such claims may be based on theories of contract, implied contract, tort, statute, or other legal theory (hereinafter, “Claim”). In the event that any Claim is asserted, or any action, arbitration or other proceeding is brought or commenced, in violation of the agreement set forth in the immediately preceding sentence, I agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of each of the Project’s Owners, to indemnify Voices Rising Film Festival and the Festival from any and all Claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that are incurred by Voices Rising Film Festival, the Festival and any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties as a result of or in connection with any such Claim or any action, arbitration or other proceeding brought in violation of the representations and agreements set forth in this paragraph.
6. Without in any way limiting the provisions or scope of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above and paragraph 10 below, I further agree and accept that, in the event that any Claim is asserted, or any action, arbitration or other proceeding is brought or commenced, by me, any of the Project’s Owners, or any other representative of or person affiliated with the Project, in violation of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above, and in the further event that an arbitrator or other tribunal should permit such Claim to proceed despite the waiver language set forth in paragraph 5 above, the sole and maximum remedy that could be awarded to me or any other person or entity asserting any Claim shall be a refund of the submission fee paid in connection with the submission of the Project to Voices Rising Film Festival for consideration for the Festival. Under no circumstances shall any other remedy, including without limitation actual, expectancy, reliance, consequential, special, punitive or exemplary damages, or any other damages, or injunctive, declaratory, provisional or other relief, be available to me, the Project’s Owners, or any other person or entity representing or affiliated with the Project.
7. In the event that the Project is accepted by Voices Rising Film Festival for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, each of the following rights to Voices Rising Film Festival the Festival, and any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Project for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Project and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director(s) and producer(s) of the Project, and to grant Voices Rising Film Festival and the Festival, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to film industry organizations that sponsor Festival events.
8. In the event that the Project is accepted by Voices Rising Film Festival for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, and I or the Project’s Owners have contractual obligations to any producers, distributors, creators, cast or crew regarding "festival benefits" (which may include but are not limited to production credits, screening tickets, Festival credentials or monetary compensation), I agree and accept that those “festival benefits” must be administered and distributed by myself and/or the Project’s Owners, and do not impact the nature or quantity of benefits provided by Institute.
9. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that Voices Rising Film Festival has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by the Institute with respect to selection of projects for inclusion in the Festival, and that the submission of the Project neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of Voices Rising Film Festival, the Festival, or any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties to provide me, the Project’s Owners, or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Project by the Institute for possible inclusion in the Festival.
10. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that by submitting the Project to Voices Rising Film Festival, I hereby grant Voices Rising Film Festival and all persons employed by, contracted by, or otherwise directly associated with Voices Rising Film Festival the irrevocable right to view and/or download all digital assets associated with the Project, including, but not limited to, any representation of the Project in the form of video files, still images, assets streamed via the Internet, and/or all other assets and information provided by the Applicant on the application. All digital assets referenced above shall remain active and accessible by Voices Rising Film Festival until the conclusion of the Festival on February 2nd, 2020. Any dissemination of these materials, incidental or otherwise, shall not be the responsibility of the Institute or any Sundance Related Parties.
11. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that, if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided the Institute with signed, written consent from my parent or legal guardian.
12. Without in any way limiting the provisions or scope of the agreements set forth in paragraph 5 above, I further agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, that any claim, dispute or controversy arising out of, in connection with, or otherwise related to the Project, the Festival, or these Terms and Conditions, including, without limitation, any Claim (as this term is defined above) and any other claim or cause of action of any nature arising from the actual or alleged breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity of these Terms and Conditions, as well as the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, will be governed by the internal, substantive laws of the State of New York and will be subject to and submitted to exclusive, binding arbitration before a single arbitrator in New York, which shall be the sole and exclusive forum for determination of such claim, dispute or controversy. Such arbitration will be administered by JAMS pursuant to its Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures then in effect. The arbitrator will be selected by mutual agreement of the parties or, if the parties are unable to agree on an arbitrator, will be appointed by JAMS pursuant to its Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures then in effect. The arbitrator shall issue a written award and, subject to the terms of paragraph 6 hereof, shall have the right to award monetary relief. I specifically agree and acknowledge, however, that the arbitrator shall not have the power to award punitive or exemplary damages, nor shall the arbitrator have the power to order Voices Rising Film Festival to include the Project in the Festival or to award other injunctive or non-monetary relief. The arbitrator shall have the power to award, and shall be required to award, to the substantially prevailing party in any such arbitration, its reasonable attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses incurred in connection with the arbitration (including, without limitation, reimbursement of that party’s share of the arbitrator’s fees and JAMS administrative charges). The arbitrator’s award shall be final, binding and non-appealable. Judgment on the arbitrator’s award may be entered in any federal or state court of competent jurisdiction in the United States. In agreeing to this exclusive arbitration provision, I hereby waive, forfeit and relinquish, on behalf of myself and each of the Project’s Owners, any right or entitlement that I or the Project’s Owners might otherwise have had to bring or litigate any claim or claims encompassed by this paragraph in any federal or state court against Voices Rising Film Festival, the Festival, or anyVoices Rising Film Festival Related Party, and further waive, forfeit and relinquish any right to a trial by jury with respect to such claim or claims.
13. I hereby acknowledge that I have the right to consult with an attorney of my own choosing with respect to these Terms and Conditions and with respect to the Rules and Regulations for submitting a project to the Festival, located at www.LoveWinsProductions.com. By completing my submission application for 2020 Voices Rising Film Festival consideration, I agree that I am doing so after having consulted with an attorney or after I freely or voluntarily elected not to do so without coercion or duress.
14. I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood the Rules and Regulations for submitting a project to the Festival, located at www.LoveWinsProductions.com, and that the information contained in said Rules and Regulations does and shall supersede any information obtained elsewhere, including, but not limited to, information contained in any current Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) documents and/or rules and regulations documents from prior years.
15. By completing my submission application for 2020 Voices Rising Film Festival consideration via FilmFreeway, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these Terms and Conditions, have been made to me or the Project’s Owners by the Festival, Voices Rising Film Festival, or any Voices Rising Film Festival Related Parties.